OPERA FOR PEACE ACADEMY EUROPE – Paris 2023 – in collaboration with the EUROPEAN INVESTMENT BANK (EIB)26th January 2023
Opera for Peace Academy – Europe: 13 – 20 April 2023 in Paris, France
Registration is open at the link below for the second edition of Opera for Peace Academy Europe, in collaboration with the European Investment Bank (EIB). This April we head to the City of Lights … Paris!
Free Application, full scholarships and grants available, no age limit! Deadline to apply: February 8, 2023
Apply via YAP Tracker:
You do not need to be a paying subscriber to YAP Tracker to use the application form, although you will need an account (guest accounts are available; see the website for details).
Opera for Peace Academy – Europe 2023 is a one-of-a-kind program offering 12 emerging opera singers the opportunity to find and develop their unique artistic identity. We want to support you in your journey to becoming self-sustainable professionals who then become social entrepreneurs and ambassadors for peace and collaboration creating a better future.
Spend a week in Paris working with the Opera for Peace team at the Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris to begin your career as a citizen artist with a global perspective! Have a chance to learn from acclaimed artists such as Sumi Jo, Thomas Hampson, Ailyn Pérez, Etienne Dupuis, Luca Pisaroni and Kamal Khan among others.
Group Masterclasses with Sumi Jo (soprano & OfP Advisor), Kamal Khan (pianist & OfP Artistic & Musical Advisor), Thomas Hampson (baritone & OfP Advisor); Ailyn Pérez (soprano & OfP Ambassador); Etienne Dupuis (baritone & Ofp Advisor); Rosetta Cucchi (stage director, pianist & artistic director of Wexford Opera Festival). Select classes will also be filmed for future streaming on OperaVision, our educational media partner for the Academy, in collaboration with Opera Europa.
Individual training: Top vocal and repertoire training from leading coaches: Kamal Khan (Conductor and OfP Artistic & Musical Advisor); Jeff Cohen (coach / accompanist); Carmen Santoro (coach / accompanist) & Thomas Hampson (baritone & OfP Advisor).
– Performance at the Eiffel Tower for a select number of artists chosen by OfP
– Perform on the final program concert for all artists, and receive a video of your performance
– Additional performance opportunities throughout the year for selected artists
– Social Media with Jenna Wolf (OfP Artistic and External Relations Consultant and Press and Media Director at Lenny’s Studio)
– Audition & Artistic Identity Workshop with Julia Lagahuzère (OfP General Director and previously Deputy Casting Director of Opéra de Paris)
– Peace Building: How to integrate peace building into your career as a citizen artist, led by the Institute of Economics and Peace
– Leadership Workshop: led by Spencer Stuart (world’s leading global executive search and leadership consulting firms to show you how to become a leader through your art)
– Movement Workshop led by Rosetta Cucchi (stage director & Artistic Director of the Wexford Opera Festival)
– Talks & conferences: Artists will have the opportunity to join participants from the cultural heritage & innovation sectors, for Circular Culture © conferences at Sciences Po Paris, tying in our shared values
Artist Selection Process and Criteria
We are committed to a transparent selection process which will be presided over by a representative committee of Opera for Peace members, as well as other industry colleagues known for working towards diversity, equity and inclusion.
The online application process will require all applicants to send their biography / CV, a cover letter* or introductory video*, 2 or 3 video or audio links and their repertoire list.
*In the cover letter or video applicants should also include projects, plans or ideas about how they can become citizen artists in their own communities. Successful applicants should aim to have concrete examples of something they would like to implement, and be prepared to develop those plans during the course of the Academy.
Application deadline: February 8, 2023
There are currently 7 full Grants & Scholarships to apply for:
1) ÓPERA LATINOAMÉRICA (OLA) Scholarship – Opera for Peace Partner Organization. For artists coming from LatAm countries.
2) OPERA EUROPA / EVA KLEINITZ FOUNDATION Scholarship – Opera for Peace Partner Organization. For artists coming from Japan.
3) OPERA FOR PEACE SOUTH AFRICAN Scholarship – For artists coming from South Africa.
4) OPERA EUROPA ROLF LIEBERMANN Scholarship – Opera for Peace Partner Organization. For artists coming from Ukraine.
5) THOMAS HAMPSON Scholarship – Opera for Peace Advisor – Open to all artists
6) OFP EIB GRANT – Open to female artists coming from Iran
7) OFP EIB GRANT – Open to all artists
About Opera for Peace
Opera for Peace is the largest worldwide organization for young opera professionals, working on six continents to connect, support, and promote outstanding artists through our network of Opera for Peace Partners, Advisors, Ambassadors, and Emerging Artists. Artists are at the core of our mission. We offer opportunities and guidance to artists who don’t have ready access to career development and advancement opportunities, while promoting social justice, equity, and inclusion. We focus on different strategic regions to offer local support, mentorship, and empowerment, and most importantly, a way to connect to the wider global cultural community.
About the European Investment Bank
The European Investment Bank is the long-term lending institution of the European Union (EU) owned by its Member States. As the EU’s climate bank, the EIB committed to support €1 trillion of climate action and environmental sustainability investments in the next decade. Within the EIB, the EIB Institute promotes and supports academic, cultural and social initiatives with European stakeholders and the public at large. It is a key pillar of the EIB Group’s community and citizenship engagement.
Photo credit: Courtesy of the Eiffel Tower